The commercials may be screaming Christmas, but here at Casa Whitaker, we’re all about the Advent. I do believe Hollywood got it right on one thing, though…it really is the most wonderful time of the year. I’m aware, though, that this happy time of year is also extraordinarily difficult and painful for some. Maybe it’s the first holiday season without a loved one or the anniversary of a painful memory. Whatever it may be, I encourage you to lift up someone you know in prayer this Advent season. May they feel the joy and be strengthened by your prayers.
Here’s what I am loving about the Advent season so far…
TOP TEN: THINGS I LOVE ABOUT ADVENT
1. Christmas music on the radio 24/7. Majic 95.5 here in Austin is certainly in the Christmas mood and I’m loving listening to all the music. It’s bringing back some great memories.
2. Baking. I’ll admit it. I’m a sucker for a good chocolate-chip cookie. To be honest, I’m not really much of a sweets person, but I do love me some baking. It should be a fun season making treats for those we love.
3. The smell of a real Christmas tree. Ahhh…
4. The activities. There’s always an open house, Christmas play or office party to attend. For many, I think the Christmas and Advent seasons bring out the best in us.
5. The spirit of giving. Our parish has a giving tree – as I’m sure many do – and I love that we’ve adopted an elderly angel to buy gifts for this season.
6. Christmas lights and hot chocolate. We might just have to jump in the car and go-a-gawking this weekend.
7. It’s a Wonderful Life. Seriously. If you have not watched this movie. DO. IT. We’ve made it a family tradition.
8. Checking the mailbox 🙂
9. The kids’ excitement. About everything.
10. That I might just have the opportunity to give Santa a kiss this Christmas Eve.