If a picture is a worth a thousand words, then here you have it…

We are BEYOND excited to welcome another little Whitaker into the world. When we told the kids, you should’ve seen the smiles and heard the giggles. Besides the folks at EPT, they were the first to find out. Of course, by doing that, it’s been hard to keep things on the d-low. But, really, nothing beats having a slew of school moms calling you after one of the boys in Will’s class yells out in the lunchroom, “Hey guys, Will’s mom is having a baby!” Classic.

I suppose we’ll hear some comments – actually, we already have heard some whoppers – about our growing family. At first I didn’t really know how to process all that. But, life experience has taught me two invaluable lessons:

#1: You never know somebody’s situation. They may be longing for a child, but the womb is empty. Or, maybe their experience in a large family wasn’t what we hope our children will have. I’ve stopped telling people, “Oh you should have another baby!” or “Wow, don’t you know what causes that?” I’m quite positive they do.

#2: I can’t presume to know what the right number is for any family, except mine. And, heck, I’m still working on figuring that one out! I’ll never forget an “aha” moment I had back in 1997. Scott and I had been married just a touch over a year and we totally thought we had this marriage thing down pat. And, of course, we did. Nevertheless, we were meeting with a group of other married couples – married 1 to 25 years – preparing for a Pre-Cana weekend (engaged couple preparation in the Catholic church). We got to the topic of birth control. And, the couple that was scheduled to speak about NFP (Natural Family Planning) introduced themselves, and then proceeded to tell us they had 5 children. Me, in my infinite wisdom with a dash of sarcasm, piped up, “Well, I guess it didn’t work!” Their reply? “But, we wanted 5 children, so I guess it did.” If ever there was a black hole, I so wanted to climb into it. Funny how things work out.

I just know this…we have another life to love. Another one! How awesome is that?

11 Comments

1. Alexis D. on March 5, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Whoop! Congrats! Guess I need to get that maternity stuff back to you – glad we are seeing y’all on Sunday!!

2. Gina on March 5, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Congratulations Kathryn! God has blessed you again! So happy for you and Scott!

3. Jennifer on March 5, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I love how how they label “baby” on the pic. Congrats again! We are excited.

4. Nicole on March 5, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Hey K – you already know how excited I am for you guys. Again, CONGRATS. What a blessing and miracle. I will continue to pray for you and the baby’s health – and hope all goes well and smoothly!

5. Kelley on March 5, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I think it is AWESOME!!! The world can always benefit from another Whitaker! 🙂 Congratulations! We are so happy and excited for all of you!

6. Laurie M on March 5, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Another Whitaker to love. Many congrats, my sweet friend. Perhaps one day we’ll see them in all in person?

7. The Steinman Squad on March 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Ah, congratulations to all of you! That’s so wonderful and so exciting. We’ll be praying for you.

8. Kelley on March 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm

While rereading this post, I realized that you forgot one important detail. When can we expect the newest Whitaker to make their entrance into the world?

9. Kathryn on March 9, 2009 at 3:29 pm

October 13 – sorry!!

10. lkl creations on March 9, 2009 at 9:44 pm

yes, that IS awesome! i'm so thrilled for y'all. you have such a beautiful family, kathryn.
    love & hugs,
    lauren

11. Verda on March 12, 2009 at 9:02 am

Congratulations, once again! My son, Chris, and his wife, Leslie, just welcomed #7! Each one is so precious, especially since both Chris and Leslie were adopted.
    God bless you!