Some of you may know that Scott and I visit a different state every year for our anniversary (which is coming up next Tuesday!). We try to do as much in the state as possible. When the kids arrived on the scene, we started including them in the trek. But I’m getting ahead of myself. That’s next week’s top ten! We’ve seen some beautiful countryside these last 14 years. But, admittedly, there are a few states I’d like to cross off my bucket list. In no particular order…here goes.
TOP TEN: STATES I MUST VISIT!
1. Hawaii. For reals. Does this really need an explanation as to why? We’re thinking it might be our 20-year anniversary trip. I’m excited just thinking about it.
2. Maine. In the summer. Fo shizzle. Some friends recently went fishing and boating up there and their pictures were enough to sway me east.
3. Alaska. My MIL went last summer and it sounded (and looked!) like she had a blast. That may be a big-number anniversary, too.
4. Washington State. Technically, we’ve set foot in this state, but never spent the night. Now that we have some good friends living in Wenatchee (shout out to the Tuckers) we are totally putting this one on the list sometime very soon.
5. Michigan. Even though we lived just south in Indiana for five years, we never made it to the mit for an anniversary trip. Molly, I’m totally relying on you to guide us to the best of the best in Mich-I-gan, ok?
6. Washington, D.C. This will definitely be a kid trip when they’re all old enough to appreciate and remember it. Hey, when your mom is a history teacher you fall in love with this place. I’ve been there plenty of times, but never with Scott for an anniversary. That’s a place rich in so many ways – history, culture, politics.
7. Illinois. It’s just a good midwestern state. And I hear there’s an American Girl store that might be cool to see in Chi-town 🙂 I’m guessing Scott and the boys will be taking in a Cubs game while I spend all his money.
8. Mississippi. Now that’s just southern. The accents, the beautiful coastline. And, we get to sing the “M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-hump back-hump back-I” song all the way there.
9. The Carolinas. We might have to make that a two-fer anniversary. Because, really. You can’t see one without enjoying the other.
10. Wyoming. We’ve been wanting to take the kids to Yellowstone for so many years. Scott is such an outdoor and lover of all things wild. This trip would be heaven for him. I told him we’ll make a deal. He can camp at Yellowstone while I camp at the Ritz. Deal.
I’ll keep you posted on our progress. Year #14 is quickly approaching and I’m not telling which state we’re seeing this year…check back on July 31 for the answer!