As we prepare for Hallmark’s busiest holiday of the year, I’m reminded that so much gets lost on Valentine’s Day. Namely, the saint for whom the holiday is named! Scott and I have never been huge Valentine’s Day lovers (pardon the pun), because as Scott says, “Everyday is Valentine’s Day at our house.” Aww. There is a tinge of sarcasm that you’re not able to hear in that quip.
Clearly, we love one another…and our children, families and friends. In the last 14 (almost) years of marriage, I’ve learned that love comes in many disguises and ours has most definitely matured over time. There are big things to love about Scott, but I wanted to take a moment and share the small ones. After all, those seem to make all the difference in a marriage. Details, folks. The love is in the details.
TOP TEN: THE LITTLE THINGS TO LOVE
1. When he offers to go grocery shopping and comes home with all the right stuff. It doesn’t hurt that his dad owned a chain of grocery stores and Scott knows any store like the back of his hand. Awesome!!
2. When I come home from getting a haircut and he always says, “You look great!” And he means it.
3. How he never complains when I ask him to rub my back. Ever.
4. How he steps in to discipline the kids when he senses that I’m about to lose it.
5. How he holds my hand during the “Our Father” at Mass.
6. When he fills up the van while he’s out running errands on a Saturday afternoon.
7. How his quiet faith insprires me to be a better Mom, wife and person.
8. How he so expressively reads princess books to the girls at bedtime and then lets them do “beauty shop” on his hair.
9. How he motivates the boys when they’re down and encourages them to laugh and try again.
10. How he shows me respect and is an example to our children that loving your spouse is your most important priority as a parent.
I could go on and on…but these are what’s on my heart tonight. Scott, you are amazing and it’s an honor to be Mrs. Whitaker.