For those that know me well, I’ve been a Patrick Swayze fan for a long time. Something about his smooth moves in Dirty Dancing left me wondering if Jennifer Grey could learn to dance, then maybe I could too. That, and the Barbara Walters interview he did shortly after he made the movie. I couldn’t believe that a man could be that in love with his wife. Then, I married Scott and understood exactly where he was coming from.
Now, whether you agree with his choice of religion (not really a fan of that) or some of his movies and their morality is beside the point…pancreatic cancer is a beast and he dealt with it with grace. All this nonsense about Serena, Joe and Kanye (seriously, those three need therapy, not an insincere apology) juxtaposed with the death of Mr. Swayze got me thinking…
What if I was diagnosed with something terminal? How would that change my perspective? What would I do differently?
TOP TEN: QUESTIONS TO PONDER
1. Would I be proud of how I talked about people I loved?
2. Would my kids remember that I was a loving mom or would they remember that I freaked out because water got all over the bathroom tile?
3. Would I have spent so much time on the computer, or would I have taken a break when the girls asked me to play “Ring Around the Rosie”?
4. Would I complain about insignificant things going on in life, or would I take time to listen to my husband’s day?
5. Would I cook or call for delivery?
6. Would I donate more to my checkbook or to charity?
7. Would I get busy dying or get busy living?
8. Have my words and actions glorified God or have they glorifed me?
9. Will my life have mattered?
10. Would I be proud of the legacy I left here on Earth?
I wish I had all the answers to those. Someday. Better run, though, a game of “Ring Around the Rosie” is calling…