We all have funny quirks – things that give our friends and family fodder to poke fun at us. I have so many I don’t even know where to start. But, I’ll just give you five that come to mind and then I’ll give you five that show I’m the mom of 4.5 kids. Hey, we all have to live a little. I joke that I prayed for patience and God gave me children. He’s a funny guy, that one.
TOP TEN: SIGNS I HAVE OCD
1. When I load the dishwasher, I load it the same way everytime. You know you’ve heard me say it, “There’s a place for everything and everything has a place.”
2. I dream about The Container Store. No lie. Last night I had dreams about nesting and organizing. I’m pretty sure there were even Dominican Sisters getting our house in ship-shape. I have got to have this baby so all I do is drool when I sleep more than two hours in a row.
3. All clothes, in every closet of our house, must be in rainbow color order. Can I tell you how much time that saves? Looking for a red shirt? No problem, because it’s at the front of the red section – because, of course, we also have them short-sleeved to long-sleeved.
4. Our office files are color coded – green for bills, red for important documents, yadda, yadda, yadda – and alphabetized, of course.
5. I cannot, CANNOT leave the house without turning off all the lights, flushing the toilets (those with boys know where I’m coming from here), and washing out the kitchen sink.
But, alas, the sinner can see redemption. I, too, have been saved. Well, a little anyway.
1. Take a look in my “plastic” cabinet. The one with all the kids’ cups, plastic containers, lids, et al. I clean it out once a year. The other times are because my mom and MIL are OCD and clean it out for me because it drives them nuts. I gave up organizing it 3 kids ago. ‘Ain’t worth it.
2. Come on over during laundry day. If you think Martha Stewart lives here, show up about 10am on a Monday morning. You will clearly see that while I ascribe to her art of folding, that’s about the only thing that looks vineyard-y around these parts.
3. My side of the bathroom often looks like a tornado hit it. Usually because I hit the snooze one (or 2 or 3) to many times and try to cram 30 minutes of getting ready into 15. Not recommended. Hey, I clean it up at night.
4. We’re not as on-time as we used to be. I’m learning that’s our new normal. I try. Really, I do.
5. Just ask Scott how often I pick up my shoes and how many pair are floating about our house at any given time. If he had a quarter for every time I asked, “Honey, have you seen my shoes?” he would’ve left me for the Bahamas a long time ago.
Please don’t tell on me. I know there are many more painfully obvious OCD moments. Don’t make a pregnant lady cry.