After Scott and I cleaned out some closets this weekend, I was reminded of some memories that had long been put on a shelf and nearly forgotten. Growing up, throughout college, and post graduation, I’ve had some pretty fun (and surprising) jobs. Some lasted years, others just a day!
TOP TEN: MY 10 LIVES
1. Waitress at a mexican food restaurant (this was the one-dayer!)
2. Junior sales associate at Dillard’s. I “won” this one while I was in high school as part of the dubious Fashion Board. It was a year-long stint and I had some fun. I have a much greater appreciation for those in the retail industry, particularly in clothes. Man, you would not believe some of the things people tried to steal!
3. Camp counselor at the Texas 4-H Center. Believe it or not, I was NRA-certified and taught riflery!
4. Summer intern for the Texas Cattle Feeder’s Association (yes, I actually inspected feedlots, helped host some heavy equipment seminars and lobbied Congress for ag bills).
5. Administrative assistant at a construction company.
6. Student worker for the Association of Former Students at Texas A&M. I loved this job. I had a great boss who was just as OCD as me and we got along great. Plus, on football gameday, I got to park my car across the street from the stadium for free!!
7. Teaching Assistant at Iowa State in the Agricultural Education department. I may not ever make it back in the formal classroom, but the two semesters I spent teaching college juniors and seniors was just a once-in-a-lifetime thing. They were excited about learning, I had a blast pushing the status quo and I didn’t have to fail any students.
8. Communications consultant for National FFA.
9. Freelance graphic designer – it’s still a great gig.
And, my favorite
10. Will, John Paul, Anna-Laura & Clare’s Mom